Sunday, August 2, 2015

A New Series

Because of my dream to become a digital artist, the computer I have does not cut out for speed and power. With only 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, 250GB hard-drive, (not solid-state [sniff sniff]) a not so great case, and a motherboard and processor beyond embarrassment, I have decided to pool my resources to upgrade to a higher level. Unfortunately, my so-called resources were only able to reach for a computer case. And so begins the series on what went into my super-computer.

Like I said, the first part I was able to get was a case. Unfortunately, the picture I have is not the greatest, and since I don't want to go through the hassle of the 30 min duration of taking it back out of the box, the picture I supply you will have to suffice.

The reason I first bought a case is because that is one of the three parts I will only be able to use at the moment. (you cannot use a modern motherboard with DDR2 RAM) I could have gotten a solid-state, but about four people's birthdays are coming up, and I needed to redeem my reputation of supplying a birthday gift.

The case is a Sentey made Gs-6080 Seeker Gaming Case. Although I will not be using it for intense gaming, (gaming, but not intense) I wanted something that will look good sitting under my desk. The case is equipped with two 120mm fans, with fan controls on the top. It also comes with one USB 3.0 port which compared to nowadays, is no big deal, but compared to my computer, a leap. Both sides come off to reveal a hidden cable system on one side, and the interior on the other.
It comes with four HDD/SSD racks, which slide out with some coaxing. One main bummer is that the case comes with lots of little pieces and chords, but no instructions.

The case allows you to add two more fans on the top, which I will be installing soon. (a.k.a after birthday presents) I am not sure if the fan controls work with the two additional fans. I assume it wouldn't. My previous case had only two ways for air to go out; the front and the back. This case has front, back, top, and bottom.

In summary, I have found this case to be a thumbs up. There were some cases similar to this one, but cheaper in value, that were okay, but not as nice. I figured that money-wise in cases, you want to get a nice case even if it means spending a little extra, since you will be looking at it for the years to come.

I hope you enjoy this mini-series as it progresses through the various parts. I will not be posting on a weekly update, but rather as the parts come in.

Till next time,

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment